Of course you are always surprised about how much you forget when you spend time away from something. I get to do both iOS and Android again. I started on the Android side first as I have always been more comfortable in Java than Objective C. I have the main login, logout and initial REST calls working under Android. Today I was working from home on the MacBook so I started to tackle the iOS side of things.
First I wanted to make sure I did autolayout from the start. Apple is pushing it and there are signs that Apple will release a different sized phone and maybe side by side program running on iPads. This means your code should be able to run as resolution independent as possible. Something you do almost by default on Android.
Autolayout is a bit weird but I got the login screen to work without any code for both portrait and landscape in the iPad storyboard. I started experimenting with AppCode 3.0 but ran into issues just getting my images into the xcassets area so I switched back to Xcode for this round of fun. I will switch back to AppCode once the UI is in place and I am doing gut level coding.
I had to create the various icons and launch screen images. I had large sized assets so I used Seashore for simple scaling. It annoys me that Mac OS does not bring an app to the front when you hover over it like Windows does. I wanted to DnD the images from Finder to Xcode. Luckily I am running a dual screen setup so I just moved Finder to the other screen and did it that way.
I copied over some other code and utility files I use and got the basics of the login screen in place. Now I get to decide which JSON library to use. I might just go with NSJSONSerialization this round. I have used YAJL in the past but I did that because I needed to stream things as the data was too big to hold in memory multiple times. Right now I do have that issue. I did not need to stream on the Android side, I am using GSON over there. I do like GSON parsing right into my natural object format where NSJSONSerialization just does a generic dictionary. Makes method name traversal impossible. The objects are rather deep for the JSON I am getting back so I need to find a decent way to get to the info I need. All the REST calls are done via C# and IIS so none of it is really optimized for Java or Objective C consumption but it is JSON which I find easier to deal with than XML.
I will need to all pull to refresh and navigation menu support too. Guess I need to get my head back into Objective C and review the list of CocoaPods I used in the past.
Sadly I don't have current access to Xcode 6 so I am not playing with that. From what I have read neither Swift nor Xcode 6 is ready for primetime meaning it is best for me to concentrate on the old Objective C via Xcode 5 and AppCode for now. Documentation is also sparse. I hope they hammer out the issues quickly as I would like to move away from Objective C sooner than later.
I have picked up a lot of info on the Android side again too. I have done JSON work there before but again I forgot a bunch of it having not messed with it in nearly a year. Good thing Google works most days.