Google+ Badge

Friday, September 10, 2010

Win7 Taskbar - I like it but they forgot things

To speed up my C# development process I pinned the EXE of our project to the Taskbar of Win7. How does this help? When I press the (>) run button or hit F5 in the IDE it does another build process to make sure all the stuff it needs is in place. Waste of time when all I did was make simple code changes I want to test and am pretty darn sure there is no debugging involved. I can always attach to the process if I want to debug anyway.

So I pin it, easy to do, but it has the ugly generic icon. I could go and change the icon in the code to solve that but we have a deal with our UX team, no icon before its time. If it is ugly and generic or it is a standard [?] image then everyone knows UX has not designed and approved an image. Company rule, I just follow it.

Next step, Windows has always allowed you to assign any icon you like to a program. A lot of programs, MS Office comes to mind, have a number of icons included in their main EXE. I try all sorts of clicking on the taskbar to try and get to a properties so I can change the icon. No luck. Hit Google and search the web and find out you need to navigate to the following directory (with your user name of course):

C:\Users\kpeck\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Then you can right click on the shortcut and adjust the properties there. Dang MS, why the heck is this such a pain in the behind? I like the other changes to the Taskbar but this is about as old school as you can get. Hate to explain to my mom how to change an icon on a very visible part of the user interface.

Next I had to go find a suitable icon so I found one of Bender from Futurama. Sure I went from a generic icon to one that has no association to my application and spent 15 minutes doing it. What else do you expect from a programmer? Sometimes you just have to stop and figure out a solution to a problem even if the end result is close to pointless. My guess is the info will come in handy in the future, this sort of knowledge almost always does.