Google+ Badge

Monday, May 9, 2011

Another Xcode release - what fun

In a short time frame Apple has gone Xcode 4.0 -> 4.0.1 -> 4.0.2 with each being over 4g of download so that puts me over 12g of download since they don't have incremental builds. I am guessing since we are only incrementing the second dot of the release that there are VERY minor changes but I have to leave a machine on overnight to get the latest each time.What a massive waste of bandwidth.

I have my first kernel fault today. When the screen first scrolled into view I thought it was a virus. Did not look like an official screen to me. So I looked up the wording on Google and found that it was in fact the real Apple BOOD or Black Overlay Of Death. I rebooted and sent the report off to Apple. Some semaphore corruption. The only thing running was Xcode and I was just holding down the Up arrow key to scroll through some code. I normally only have Xcode, Firefox and the SQLite extension for Firefox running but I had not even fired up Firefox yet today.

Massive update of code today as previously I did not have all the tables configured so I was saving the text the user picked to the DB instead of the code. Everything has been converted and I cleaned up a lot of calls to be more generic. I still have a little work to do before I can move on to the MRU interface. I still have tables as getting them and other controls to show on one View seems to be a huge PITA. I know you have to through out using the UITableViewController as it wants the whole screen. I think I just need to put IB and do it all by hand.

I attempted to refactor an element of an enum but Xcode could not handle it so I had to do it by hand. Another area where it is sorely lacking on features.

Getting to be a lot of code, 72 objects, 400k of source code, for just a couple of screens. There are 16 database files so far and I know of at least 4 others I need to deal with. Once I got some helper objects in place those have been pretty easy to define and add.

Probably need to run it all through the memory leak tester again. I did that last week and found a few areas. A lot more going on now with DB searching in place so probably best not to let that get out of hand.